Sustainable food systems
South Africa’s food system is complex. We rely heavily on a small number but large-scale commercial farms to produce most of the food we eat. This food not only feeds our expanding population but also supplies a global supply chain stretching from the States through to China. This in a context where a significant proportion of our population is food or nutrition insecure. This imbalance needs to be challenged. Using sustainable food systems, a new order and just practices can be formulated. Pinpoint’s view is one in which the whole supply chain is considered in order to overcome system challenges.
- Research to understand the formal and informal food supply chain and flows
- Value chain analysis
- Mapping and understanding resilient food systems
- Strategic insights on establishing sustainable food system frameworks, policy and strategy
- Guidance on tools and innovations to support sustainable practices
Food loss, waste and surplus
South Africa wastes about 103 million tonnes of food each year – equivalent to 40% of what is grown. This is in a country where resources, such as land and water, to grow our food, are under stress. In addition, the edible fraction of this food could contribute towards feeding the 13 million who routinely experience hunger in our country. Pinpoint is passionate about reversing this trend, minimising food waste and working towards redistributing nourishing surplus food to those in need.
“It has been a pleasure working with Pinpoint Sustainability on the Consumer Goods Council of South Africa’s Food Loss & Waste Initiative, in partnership with the Department of Trade & Industry and co-funded by the European Union. Nicola was instrumental in formulating the food waste initiative road map, proposed budget and governance structure and proposals in partnership with Anthesis from Europe. She assisted with facilitation of various dialogues and facilitated a Food Loss & Waste Reporting Protocol workshop with retailer members of the CGCSA. It’s admirable how she always sees projects through from conception to completion. Her work ethic, team work and passion on sustainability is out of this world!” Matlou Setati, FSl Executive, Consumer Goods Council of South Africa.
STRATEGY & CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY
Strategy development & implementation
The development of a vision and plan with purpose helps an organisation to achieve one or more goals. This involves allocating time to think, discuss, consult, and draft a plan of action on the big picture, how to connect the details, and ensure you focus on getting the right things done first. Pinpoint is experienced in taking clients through this journey, whether to develop a roadmap for implementation or to successfully secure funding.
- Hotspot mapping or issue and opportunity identification to inform focus
- External stakeholder and internal staff engagement to gather insights
- Development or strategic plans and roadmaps for implementation (incl. practical and feasible actions, tasks and responsibilities
- Recommended solution or opportunity feasibility assessments
- Strategic identification of funding sources, including how best to access funding
Organisations are increasingly recognising the impact of their operations on society’s collective wellbeing and the extent to which sustainability-related issues are impacting their operations. Leading organisations are actively working to safeguard their operations against sustainability related risks, while considering seriously the potential they have to positively contribute to realising an economically, environmentally and socially healthy future.
- Socio-economic and environmental research to inform strategic focus and interventions
- Development of responsibility vision and purpose statements
- Advice on how best to implement more sustainable and socially responsible practices across a business
- Assessing how best to implement responsible corporate governance
- Identification and recommendations to enhance internal capacity to deliver corporate responsibility
“Grootbos engaged Nicola Jenkin to lead a fundraising strategy development process with a view to securing financial sustainability for our non-profit Grootbos Foundation. The sessions were well structured and facilitated and allowed us to formulate strategic objectives across the short-, medium- and long-term horizon, as well as action plans to achieve them. The outputs were very practical and the team could immediately begin to implement. Nicola is fantastic at flexing between the details and the bigger picture and taking the team along with her. We would definitely recommend working with Pinpoint Sustainability!” Julie Cheetham, Director, Grootbos Foundation
JOBS & SKILLS
Green skills & decent work
The greening of skills and occupations refers to the need to develop our country’s skills base to take care of our resources and aid in the transition towards a sustainable and just economy for all. Pinpoint has experience in undertaking supply and demand-led studies across various sectors, from paint to the public service. This includes situating jobs and skills within an economic system to ensure the longevity of jobs.
- Contextual drivers analysis (political, economic, social, technical, legislative and environmental)
- Value chain and actor analysis and mapping
- Skills and occupational analysis and mapping
- Knowledge network mapping and analysis
- Assessing the impact of digitalisation on work
Capability, capacity & agency
- Understanding how policy and strategy can best be implemented from a human resource perspective
- The mapping of actors associated with programmes, businesses, supply chains, and sectors to better understand gaps and current capability
- Identification of skills and knowledge gaps
- Mapping of occupational pathways to meet strategic ambitions
RESEARCH & EVALUATION
Pinpoint is a trusted provider of research for the public and private sectors. With over 20 years of academic and consultancy research experience, Pinpoint understands the importance and need for confidentiality, the adoption of ethical practices, and the use of recognised and appropriate methodologies and protocols.
- Desk-based and in-field research (environmental and socio-economic)
- Methodology and research framework development (qualitative and quantitative
- Conducting surveys, questionnaires, interviews and focus groups
- Data analysis and mapping (incl. supply chains, knowledge flows, actor networks)
- Report writing, working papers and journal articles
- Recommendations and insights for improvements
- Research oversight and capacity building
Reviews & evaluation
Drawing on our experience as research practitioners across a variety of disciplines and sectors, Pinpoint is able to provide a neutral perspective to undertake assessments of research and project interventions, impacts and achievements.
- Project, policy and strategic intervention evaluations and reviews
- Review and vetting of project outputs, research reports and academic research
- Recommendations and guidance for improvement and solution implementation